The concept ” falling popular of Education” is a relative term due to the fact there is no properly described contraptions to degree it with utmost reliability and validity. That is why pupils’ views at the concept varies. These students view it at specific views, relying on the perspective each of them is calling at it.
Babalola, A (2006) sees the idea from admission of Nigerian University products in developed nations universities. That the primary six Nigerian Universities (University of Ibadan, Ile Ife, Lagos, Benin, Nsukka and Zaria) had their products competing favourably with any other University in the international as their products were looked for through University of Harvard, Cambridge, Oxford and London for admission into their put up-graduate courses. That those students record Nigerian news headline today performances and after they graduate are employed with the aid of the first-class multi-countrywide organizations and company our bodies globally in contrast to today where no Nigerian University is the various top 6,000 Universities of the sector (Adeniyi, Bello (2008) in Why no fear approximately ratings). He sees popular from how universities make contributions to understanding and solving problems besetting mankind.
According to Gateway to the Nation (2010), University of Ibadan is ranked 6,340th University in the international. In Africa, University of Ibadan is ranked 57th, OAU 69th and South African Universities are leading the manner in Africa.
He additionally use written and spoken English as a yardstick for measuring widespread of education which University of London carried out a studies in West Africa and the end result showed that instructors trained with the aid of colonial masters had been better of than those trained through indigenous instructors.
He also used staffing, investment, foundation, foundation and college students as general of education.
Standard of training to Dike, V. (2003) is how education make contributions to the general public fitness (or sociopolitical and monetary improvement of a Nation).
Standard of schooling to both passing or failing of external examinations like WAEC, NECO, NABTEB, JAMB,(NOW UTME) among others.
Teachers with out Boarders (2006) seems at educational preferred from how the products of faculties can be measured in phrases of final results. That is how school leavers make a contribution to the society in terms of cognitive affective and psychomotor. I could be the use of students to consult both students and students, I will use head teacher to refer to each essential and headmaster.
Which ever manner you could view trendy of training, for you to finish whether or not the same old is falling or now not, you have to think about all of the aforementioned variables such as accomplishing educational dreams.
Equally, for justice to be executed whilst measuring these standards one has to take a look at reliability in which all the schools to be measured need to have the identical infrastructure, coaching materials, quality of teachers, degree and degree of beginners, situation inside which gaining knowledge of takes region, some techniques of assessment and some forms of contribution to the society among others.
CAUSES OF FALLING STANDARDS
Haven discussed what makes up fashionable in education, may additionally I crave your indulgence to a number of the established facts that represent falling fashionable of education in Nigeria.
(1) Discipline: This is one of the splendid attributes of schooling whilst it’s far rightly observed.
A. Repeating: college now not observe repeating as every scholar is promoted to the next magnificence whether or not they understand or now not gives room for falling general.
B. Attendance: The 75% of attendance universally regular because the bases for someone to sit for exam is not determined.
C. Late coming: Student that come late are no longer punished, which ends up in their losing morning training.
D. Misbehaviour: Students are not punished for misbehavior because of their parental influences (misplaced of jobs or useless transfer).
E. Cultism: This should talk to rituals, usually underneath oath binding the members to a commonplace direction. They function covertly in fulfillment in their objectives to the detriment of different humans. Thus, planning secondary wishes above primary needs.
These cults exist because of over populace of students in faculties, incorrect admissions not based totally on deserves, as a result worry of exam screw ups and selfish worldly profits.
(2) Quest for paper qualification: Nigerians admire paper qualification above performance inside the fields. Hence, cognitive, affective and psychomotor domain names are imagined to be measured on the sphere.
(three) Politicizing schooling: Merit is now not regarded as it’s miles now ” who you recognize” and no longer “what you can deliver” Technocrats (educationists aren’t appointed Commissioner of education and education board).
(4) Policy problem: Sometimes the sort of rules government make on training adversely affects output. For example, in College of Education, we’ve National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE), competing with JAMB for admission as the 2 hints vary.
Equally, WAEC, NECO, NABTEB, JAMB ( now UTME) compete with qualifying pre-requirements and law of entries into tertiary establishments.
(five) Teachers not being a part of the exam our bodies. One wonders whether or not the non-stop Assessment submitted via those teachers are used or no longer.
(6) Accessibility of Schools: The Nigerian populace boom has outnumbered the present colleges as the existing colleges must over admit.
This point may be almost seen within the following regions:
(i) Teacher / Student ratio of one:25 is now not there as in my elegance, it’s miles 1:3900.
(ii) Students / books / Journals ratio of 1:10 is no longer possible.
(iii) Politics of admission: Schools can no longer set targets for admission to conform with their centers as effective notes from above will pressure the school government to either over admit or find themselves within the labour market again. Yet it’s miles the ones that are giving these notes are suppose to construct extra colleges or provide needed infrastructure and so forth. To house those accumulating these notes.
(7) Over-dependent on cognitive area: Schools do not supply regards to affective area so as to mildew characters of our young ones. Little attention is given to psychomotor at the same time as no interest is given to affective area.
(eight) Shortage of certified teachers: Some schools in the rural areas only have the headmaster as government worker even as the rest that may be secondary faculty drop outs are PTA team of workers. What miracle can these group of workers perform? Dike, V. (2006) observed that only 23% out of the then four hundred,000 number one colleges in Nigeria have grade II even when NCE is now the minimal qualification for teachers at number one and Junior Secondary faculties.
(9) Teachers welfare: It is no longer news that
(a) Politicians do no longer have negotiation council to negotiate their salary boom.
(b) There is not any disparity among political office holders from the federal, nation and neighborhood governments.
(c) Their salaries are expanded at astronomical way.
(d) Their salaries are elevated any time without recourse to whether the kingdom’s financial system can bear it or now not.
(e) But for teachers, they need to negotiate the 10 to twenty% of an attempt to growth their salary with consideration of the economic system of the state. How can those teachers make contributions and perform miracle when their circle of relatives individuals are within the hospitals and the O.S. Syndrome is written on their cards by way of pharmacists even as they do no longer have money to deal with.
(10) Constant Strikes: This is an impediment to easy overlaying of syllabus. Oefule (2009) explained that one Nigerian guest requested a query on strike at Oxford University network but the vice chancellor couldn’t even bear in mind about strike, handiest the registrar remembered it for 17 years again. This is what governance approach to the people.
(11) Long rule of the army; Education turned into not properly funded by means of the military regimes as consistent with Babalola, A(2006) Obasanjos administration inherited many left over issues of the navy which include non- payment of pensions and gratuities of retired University team of workers, terrible remuneration of university staff, dilapidating buildings of colleges, libraries with outdated books, obsolete laboratory equipments, horrific campus roads, inadequate water and electricity supply amongst others.
(12) In the secondary and number one colleges ranges, colleges do not even have buildings communicate less` of fixtures’s, equipments and studying materials. This is the level in which the inspiration of training must be laid. Any faulty basis will cause faulty structures. What do you anticipate from the tertiary degree?
(13) Lack of training of instructors: Teachers aren’t educated to replace their expertise with cutting-edge discoveries based on research, then how can they give what they do not have?
(14) Poor kingdom of Educational coaching facilities: Dike V. (2006) said that studies end result indicates that over 2015 number one colleges in Nigeria do not have constructing however look at beneath bushes, speak less of coaching substances.
(15) Corruption: leaders of the colleges and a few Government officials both connive to buy equipments with loan cash that can not be of any use to the school or take such loans and do not even do whatever with it.
(16) Poor budgetary allocation to schooling: A research paintings of 2001 indicates that Nigeria best, allocate less than 20% to education it further exhibits that Nigeria spends 0.76% to schooling as against Uganda 2.6%, Tanzania3.Four%, Mozambique four.1%, Angola four.Nine%, Coted Ivore 5% Kenya 6.Five% and South Africa 7.9% among others.
WHO IS TO BE BLAMED?
We have seen the causes of falling standards and from those reasons we will deduce that the following are to be blamed:
1. Government suppose to carry the lion percentage of the blame because all of the different variables are structured variables to it.
2. Teachers also have their stocks of the blame almost about their diligent obligations.
3. Parents: feeding has to be furnished by way of parents. This is due to the fact parents do not depart faculties to function with out interference.
4. Students: students who do now not abide by school rules and guidelines nor pay attention to their studies additionally make a contribution to falling requirements. Students additionally search for paper qualification and disregards to overall performance in addition they take part in cult sports that derail the progress of the academy.
5. The society isn’t always left out as it’s far the way it sees and respects the products of those schools that recycles again once more.
Based at the troubles or reasons identified above, the subsequent solutions are proffered: Schools ought to recognize and restore lower back discipline to carry back the misplaced glory of our tutorial requirements.
Performance need to be seemed and revered greater than just paper qualification. Equally, schooling need to no longer be politicized for whatever purpose.
Policy makers ought to be mindful of policies that affect training .Eg JAMB(UTME) regulation in admissions.
Teachers have to be worried in exam sports and examination bodies need to constantly publish examination reviews and distribute it to numerous schools for them to keep faculty workshop for training of concern teachers on their areas of weaknesses found in the students’ scripts with regards to following the marking scheme.
More schools have to be constructed to boom accessibility by using all. Cognitive, affective and psychomotor area must be used for evaluation of college students.
Teachers’ welfare ought to accept priority via authorities to avoid needless strikes in our educational zone at the same time as more qualified teachers ought to be employed to lower the present shortage of instructors in our schools.
Our civilian authorities must show to the human beings that they’re better than military government.
Teachers need to gain knowledge of so that you can meet up with any new challenges Educational facilities need to be upgraded to modern requirements even as teaching facilities need to be thoroughly provided.
Corruption should be eliminated to the barest minimal via all stakeholders while government need to increase its budgetary allocations to training to improve the usual of training in Nigeria.