The set up of porcelain tile is turning into an an increasing number of regular undertaking for the present day day tiler. Customers choice the look of natural stone, but require the more durability that porcelain tiles offer. With porcelain tiles being non-porous (impervious to water) and simply preservation unfastened, they are the precise solution for the step by step popular wet-room styled toilets.
With porcelain being one of the most famous picks of tile material available, and with the trend for porcelain tile set to continue, tilers have had to adapt their operating strategies and equipment if you want to cater for the demands of their clients. Until recently, a large number of tile fixers have shied away from the installation and drilling of porcelain tiles due its perceived problem.
However, drilling holes in porcelain tile is not tough! Using the proper techniques and the nice equipment for the process, it’s miles possible to obtain best cuts in a count number of seconds.
Recommended Equipment for Drilling Porcelain Tile
High great diamond center best dewalt drill driver bits
Carbide pilot drill bit – simplest required in case you’re drilling massive diameter holes (13mm or larger) and don’t have a suitable-sized (8mm) diamond drill bit
Masonry drill bits – blanketed with exceptional tile drill bits
Water cooling equipment
Electric drill Clear safety glasses / goggles
Identifying the Size of Hole to be Drilled
The first step is to correctly become aware of the size of hollow to be drilled. This could be very essential, as the diameter of the hollow to be reduce dictates the approach that you may use to drill into the tile.
The majority of holes which are 10mm and beneath in diameter will be drilled with the tile already fixed to the wall. Conversely, the majority of holes over 10mm in diameter might be drilled into the tile earlier than the tile has been fixed.
When drilling holes which are 13mm or large in diameter, make certain that the tile to be drilled is positioned in a tray so as to acquire the waste water that is produced. Ensure that scrap tiles or every other comparable material is located under the tile that is being drilled. This will help to halt the progress of the drill once it has completed drilling thru the tile.
Before drilling tile, make certain that you are sporting the perfect protection gadget, such as protection glasses or goggles. Ensure which you are using a residual current tool (RCD) to help save you electric surprise.
Drilling Small Diameter Holes (10mm or Smaller) with Diamond Cores
1. Mark the middle of the hole to be drilled into the tile through the usage of a marker or a sticky drive pad.
2. Attach the proper diamond core bit to the electric drill and make certain that there is a regular deliver of cold water this is being at once aimed toward the diamond middle i.E. By way of the usage of water cooling system.
Note concerning water cooling… It is crucial to make certain that there may be a constant supply of bloodless water directed at the drill bit which will preserve the diamond core cool and to assist dispose of any particles which can have constructed up whilst drilling the tile. It isn’t always recommended to try and cool the diamond drill bit via the use of a hand held aspirator or drilling through a moist sponge. These methods will now not maintain the drill bits cool sufficient, and could drastically shorten the life of the drill bit.
3. Ensure that the drill is in “normal” mode and set the drill to among one thousand and 1500 rpm. If you have marked the tile with a marker it is exceptional to drill into the tile the usage of a technique referred to as “leaning in”. “Leaning in” guarantees that the drill will not slip and get lost middle as you begin to drill into the tile.
How to “lean in”… To “lean in”, actually begin the drill at an perspective, as soon because the drill bit has started to reduce the tile, slowly carry the drill right into a vertical position. Ensure that enough stress is being carried out (tile dirt ought to be evident in cooling water) and rotate slowly until you’ve got reduce the appropriate hollow. As you end the hole, you’ll note that the tone of the drill will alternate.
Using sticky power pads… If you operate a sticky power pad, it’s miles unnecessary to use the “leaning in” method. Simply begin the drill in a vertical role and the sticky pad will make sure that the drill does now not slip. Once you have got completed drilling the tile, definitely peel off the sticky power pad.
4. Because most people of small diameter holes may be reduce into tiles already fixed to the wall, it will likely be essential to drill a fixing hole at the back of the tile. Replace the diamond center with the appropriately sized masonry drill bit and set the drill to “hammer” mode. Use a slow pace for drilling into tough substances to make sure that the end does not overheat. Ensure that the drill bit is regularly withdrawn which will stop a build up of dirt.
Drilling Small Diameter Holes (10mm or Smaller) with Carbide Bits
1. Firstly, mark wherein the hole could be drilled, at the tile, the usage of a marker.
2. Attach a carbide drill bit on your drill. Ensure that there’s a steady supply of cold water this is being without delay aimed at the chosen drill bit i.E. With the aid of the usage of water cooling equipment.
Note regarding water cooling… It is vital to make sure that there is a consistent supply of bloodless water, with a purpose to keep the drill bit cool and to help take away any debris which could have built up at the same time as drilling the tile. It is not recommended to strive and funky the drill bit by way of the usage of an aspirator or drilling through a wet sponge, those strategies will not keep the drill bit cool enough, and the drill bit will burn out.
3. Set the electrical drill to between 700 and 900 rpm. Make certain that the drill is in “everyday” mode.
4.Push the carbide drill bit lightly into in which you’ve got marked the tile till you listen a cracking sound. Start drilling from a vertical position with sufficient pressure and don’t stop till you listen a trade inside the tone of the drill. As soon as you listen the change in the tone, start to ease off.
5. Because the majority of small diameter holes might be cut into tiles already fixed to the wall, it will likely be vital to drill a fixing hollow at the back of the tile. Replace the carbide drill bit with the appropriately sized masonry drill bit and set the drill to “hammer” mode. Use a gradual pace for drilling into tough substances to make certain that the end does not overheat. Ensure that the drill bit is regularly withdrawn on the way to stop a build up of dust.
Drilling Large Diameter Holes (13mm or Larger)
1. In order to reduce holes which can be 13mm or larger in diameter, it is vital to first drill a pilot hole. The pilot hollow will act as a locater for a large diamond middle and could help you to drill a really perfect hole in porcelain tile.
2. Attach an 8mm carbide drill bit or 8mm diamond bit on your drill. Follow the instructions given above for either “Drilling Small Diameter Holes (10mm or Smaller) with Diamond Cores” or “Drilling Small Diameter Holes (10mm or Smaller) with Carbide Bits”, relying on whether you’re the usage of diamond cores or carbide drill bits. Leave out the very last step in both case as you won’t be drilling a fixing hollow behind the tile.
Three. Now that the pilot hole has been reduce, it’s far possible to drill the primary (huge) hollow. Attach the precise diamond center and ensure that there may be a consistent supply of cold water (see water cooling statistics within the previous sections of this text).
4. Diamond cores which are larger than 13mm would require an adapter with pilot pin that locates into the pilot hole that has been reduce previously, to ensure the suitable hollow may be made.
Five. Starting the drill vertically, start to drill in a circular motion with enough strain until the tone of the drill adjustments. Drilling holes into porcelain tile must take seconds now not minutes. If it is taking you mins, it’s miles in all likelihood which you are not making use of sufficient pressure or that you are the use of an incorrect placing on the power device. See video below.
Best Tools for the Job
In order to drill ideal holes in porcelain tile, it’s miles extraordinarily crucial to use premium high-quality drill bits.
Armeg had been producing revolutionary, excessive first-class drilling answers for over 30 years and Armeg’s PTC (Porcelain Tile Cutter) variety is at the leading edge of tile drilling generation.
The Armeg PTC Diamond drill bit range boasts diamond center drill bits which are able to reducing masses of holes in all grades of porcelain. They feature skinny wall, continuous diamond crowns for and rapid and green cutting and an extended existence. These diamond cores aren’t to be pressured with quick-existence diamond grit options. Not simplest do those diamond drill bits reduce porcelain, they also reduce substances which include marble, granite, travertine, slate, quarry tiles, ceramic tiles, herbal stone and limestone.
The Armeg PTC Carbide drill bit range accommodates of extremely good porcelain tile drill bits which are able to reducing 15-25 holes in grade 5 porcelain, or 50+ in lesser grades of porcelain. These carbide drill bits boast non-slip begin-up thanks to diamond-ground tip geometry.
The Armeg PTC Soft Tile drill bit range is good for drilling softer tiles which includes ceramics and travertine. They function factor-ground suggestions to assist lessen slippage and wander.
Armeg Tile Drilling Accessories to be used with Armeg PTC drill bits encompass: water feed pump package, water feed adapters, water feed clamp & pressure/piloting courses to ensure non-slip begin-up with small diameter diamond cores. Armeg SDS Plus tile eliminating chisel also to be had in this range.